Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Darling Diving Dolphins

Last week, I spent some time in Southern California, where I was born. One of my favorite things to do is hit the beach. I could spend all day splashing in the water, building sand castles, and looking for seashells. My favorite animals are sea animals, too. I had my eye out for dolphins, but I didn't get to see any. Maybe next time. I did study dolphins last year and wrote a little report. Read along and learn about the cutest animal in the sea. (Stay tuned for a shark report in the near future, too.)

Splish-Splash! A dolphin is diving. Wait! He seems to stay up on his tail. He looks like he is smiling at you. Do you know anything about him? Here are some things you can learn.
Dolphins are beautiful animals. They have a long sleek body and two flippers. A triangle back fin and a flat tail fin help them to swim fast. A blowhole on its head is for breathing. Their teeth are shiny white. He looks like he is always smiling.
Dolphins eat all day long. Dolphins eat octopus, eel, squid, small fish, and shrimp. In fact, they eat about 20 pounds a day. That’s a lot of seafood! Dolphins use echolocation to find food. They send out a clicking sound that bounces. It can go for many miles. Dolphins can even find their way in the dark. Can you find your way at night without a flashlight? Dolphins can. Dolphins have enemies, too. Sharks and killer whales want to eat dolphins. By accident, sometimes people can kill dolphins, too. Men use nets for tuna fish and dolphins get caught too. Poor dolphins! I hope you've enjoyed learning a little about these gentle animals of the sea. Maybe you'll get a chance to see one the next time you hit the beach.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Sailor,
I like the dolphins. I want to come to your house. I have Fancy Nancy Cards. I can't find them. I'm sad.
Annabelle

Prudy said...

thank you

gigi said...

Hi Sailor,
My name is Gigi. That's my real name. It was my grandma's nickname, her real name was Garnetta. I guess Gigi is better than Garnetta. I came over to your blog from your mom's blog. I love her recipes. I bet it's fun living at your house and eating all her good cooking!

I live in southeast Georgia. I live about 12 miles from the ocean. Every time I go to the beach or the pier area I see dolphins! I never get tired of looking for them and watching them. One day this summer I took my grandaughter Shelby to the beach and she was flying her Barbie kite and the wind was so strong it broke the string. It came down way out in the water. She wanted me to swim way out there to get it. I just couldn't swim that far. She said, "that's okay, maybe the dolphins will play with it." She's only 3 but loves to watch the dolphins too. I was just so worried that the dolphins might get tangled up in the string. We were sad.
I let Shelby look at your blog and she likes your picutes.We'll check back often.

The Blonde Duck said...

Dear Sailor,

Here's the first Callie story: www.aduckinherpond.blogspot.com/2008/05/bubblegum-kisses.html

And here's the second part to it:

http://aduckinherpond.blogspot.com/2008/05/bubblegum-kisses-part-2.html

I also wrote a story about Callie and her invisible horse George, who wants to be a famous tap-dancing invisible horse. I'm thinking about turning it into a real book with pictures.

I love your blog! I love dolphins. I used to want to be a marine bioligist when I was younger. My husband promised to take me swimming with the dolphins sometime, but we haven't gone yet. I actually wrote a book about dolphins! I'm working on getting it printed, too.

I saw you like American Girl dolls. Which ones are your favorite? Mine was Kirstin.

Love,
The Blond Duck (Miranda)

Fantastic Mr. R said...

Hi Sailor,
Our family loved learning about dolphins from you. Did you know they are my favorite animal? I've secretly always wanted to be one :). They always seem so happy and playful. Sometimes when I was learning to surf, dolphins would swimm right by me....at first I thought they were sharks!!!!! Yikes.
Thanks again for the great info.
Love ya, the briscos

SF Stookyman said...

cooool, dolphins!